FETAC Healthcare Support Course Level 5
This FETAC Healthcare Support Course Level 5 is designed to prepare students to work competently, safely and effectively as a Healthcare Assistant in a variety of settings such as nursing homes, hospitals and home help support. The Healthcare Support course is structured to provide Graduates with a high standard of training and assessment leading to a recognised qualification for those pursuing a career in the Health Care Sector. It is also a preparatory course designed for students who intend to pursue further training in Health & Care in the Institutes of Technology in Ireland.
A Leaving Certificate standard or equivalent and English language proficiency test where deemed appropriate. Mature students with relevant prior experience may be exempt from the above requirements.
The Aim of the Healthcare Support Course Level 5 is to:
- Develop a range of personal and interpersonal qualities necessary for work in a range of healthcare environments
- Be capable of creating and maintaining appropriate relationships with the client, their family and other professionals involved
- Acquire specialist knowledge, skills and competence in the role of the healthcare assistant
- Reflect on your abilities and aptitudes to work as a healthcare assistant
- Demonstrate good practice in working as a healthcare assistant
Principal Areas of Study
Healthcare Support Modules
- Modules Care Skills
- Care Support
- Safety & Health at Work
- Introduction to Nursing
- Care of the Older Person
- Palliative Care
- Work Experience
Work experience is a mandatory module for this award, therefore, students should be aware that they will be required to carry out 100 hours work experience outside of scheduled class time in order to satisfy the requirements of the FETAC work experience module. This will provide an opportunity to merge classroom learning with practical experience under the tutelage of experienced and qualified professionals.
It is recommended that each student should secure a work experience placement in their locality that does not conflict with class time or their own personal/work commitments and prior to commencing the course to alleviate any pressure once the course has commenced.
A combination of module appropriate assessment procedures will facilitate the assessment of learning outcomes of the Healthcare Support course. These methods will include a combination of final written examinations and continuous assessment processes such as assignments, collection of work, learner records, projects and skills demonstration.
Students who successfully completed the Healthcare Support Modules will be awarded:
- Major Award: FETAC Healthcare Support Certificate Level 5
- Certificate in Manual Handling