Occupational First Aid Training
This Occupational First Aid Training course will provide the learner with the knowledge, practical skills to give effective life support, assess and treat work related injuries or illness, maintain care and comfort of the casualty and an understanding required to provide and co-ordinate first aid in the workplace in compliance with the requirements of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act.
The new 2008 standard consists of 8 units as listed below and includes Cardiac First Responder training in automated external defibrillators (AED’S). All our Occupational First Aid instructors are registered with OFAAA.
This Occupational First Aid Training Course meets the requirements of the syllabus for FETAC Occupational First Aid (Level 5) as set down by the Health and Safety Authority.
This programme requires a high level of trainee participation and interaction where the theory is enhanced by practical demonstration of skills and practical application by trainees.
To provide the learner with the knowledge, practical skills and understanding required to provide and co-ordinate first aid in the workplace in compliance with the requirements of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007; Part 7, Chapter 2 : First Aid.
Learners who successfully complete this Occupational First Aid Training course will:
- Understand the responsibilities of the occupational first aider
- Provide treatment for the purpose of preserving life or minimising the consequences of injury until discharge or the arrival of medical assistance.
- Provide treatment in the workplace for an injury which does not require the attention of a medical practitioner or nurse.
- Be capable of coordinating first aid arrangements in the workplace.
- Be familiar with health and safety legislation on first aid provision in the workplace.
- Be capable of performing CPR and using an AED
- Understand the responsibilities of an Occupational First Aider.
- Unit 1 – First Aid in the Workplace
- Unit 2 – Patient Assessment
- Unit 3 – Respiratory Emergencies
- Unit 4 – Cardiac First Response (including CPR and Defibrillator)
- Unit 5 – Wounds and Bleeding
- Unit 6 – Altered Levels of Consciousness
- Unit 7 – Muscloskeletal Injuries
- Unit 8 – Burns and scalds, chemicals, electric shock
Assessment & Certification
- Certification assessments (theory and practical) will be held on Day 3 of the course
- Unit assessments will be performed as per unit
- Successful completion of the course results in the issue of FETAC Level 5 Certificate
- Certificates are valid for 2 years
- All our instructors are registered with the Occupational First Aid Assessment Agent (OFAAA) on behalf of the Health and Safety Authority (H.S.A) and Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council
- Maximum of 10 participants per instructor
- 3 day duration (9.30 am – 5 pm)
This Occupational First Aid Training course will be taught in English unless previously arranged. Students should identify any special needs on booking the course.
All successful candidates will be issued with a certificate of attendance by Aldatus Healthcare and Safety Training, and a FETAC Level % Certificate in Occupational First Aid. Certification is valid for 2 years from date of issue, thereafter subject to re-certification.
For further guidelines on how many First Aiders your company needs or please follow this link to a PDF page within the Health And Safety Authority website click here.